Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Things People Say (Periodically Updated)

I've had a few gems recently, in terms of customer service experiences, so I thought I'd post them. As a disclaimer: I used to work in the service industry, and I know how thankless it can be. That being said, I was never stupid in the service industry.

Sept. 30, 2009
I'm new to this city and looking for the best way to get to work in the mornings from the hotel I'm staying at. The hotel is in the downtown core. I go to the front desk for advice:

Me: What's the best way to get to [my work address]?
Girl at Desk: Hmm... (She goes to the computer to bring up google).
Me: Oh, if you're just going to google it then don't bother.
Her: Are you sure?
Me: Yeah, I have a map. I just thought you might have some suggestions about quicker ways or areas that don't have construction.
Her: Oh, yeah. No. I don't pay attention when I drive.

Nov. 20, 2009
I stopped at Safeway's snack bar for lunch. I bought a sub, a container of soup and a small tray of fruit. The cashier put the sub in the bag, then tried to fit the tray in beside it, then realized everything was crooked, then tried to put the soup in, then asked if I wanted the soup in a different bag so it wouldn't spill.

Me: That's okay, I'll do it.
I took everything out, put the tray in first, then stacked everything else neatly on top.
Her (completely seriously): Yeah, sometimes putting stuff in bags is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment